The Friends of Silverbrook Cemetery meet the third Thursday each month at 7 p.m. at the Niles Law Enforcement Complex, located at Main St and Silverbrook Ave.
In addition to discussing progress made with our restoration and education projects, we feature a Guest Speaker. Past speakers have given talks about the history of Niles, gravestone restoration, and biographies of leading citizens. Many of our members also have interests in genealogy and local history. Members, nonmembers, and guests are always welcome to attend at no cost.
Springtime 2015 around Silverbrook
- Published: September 28, 2015 September 28, 2015
The Friends of Silverbrook Cemetery will meet on Thursday, October 15 at 7 p.m. at the Law Enforcement Complex, 1600 Silverbrook Ave. in Niles.
As always, the public is welcome and there is no fee to attend.
- Published: August 11, 2015 August 11, 2015
Exciting news!!! See Niles Daily Star article re July 15 City Council Actions!
Niles prohibits parking on portion of Broadway Street
Niles Daily Star, Published 9:13am Wednesday, July 15, 2015
After a trial run, the Niles City Council voted unanimously on Monday to permanently prohibit parking on a portion of Broadway Street in order to improve traffic flow and the mobility of emergency service vehicles.
Parking is no longer allowed on Broadway Street between Fifth and Seventh streets.
Originally open to parking, the council approved a temporary traffic order prohibiting parking to that portion of Broadway Street in September of 2014 in order to facilitate traffic movement during construction of the new Main Street Bridge.
City staff determined that the parking ban was beneficial to everyday traffic movement, including fire and ambulance vehicles, during the temporary traffic order period.
Administrator Ric Huff and Public Works Director Joe Ray recommended that the council make it permanent.
Also Monday, the council:
• Scheduled a public hearing for 5:50 p.m. Aug. 10 to receive input from the community on the proposed 2016 budget.
• Approved a request by the parks and recreation board to sponsor the Niles Trails & Ales event in Riverfront Park July 31 to Aug. 2.
• Approved a request from the chamber of commerce to hold a craft beer and wine festival from 2 to 10 p.m. Aug. 1 in Riverfront Park.
• Approved a request from the Berrien County Cancer Service to hold a 5K fun run and walk on Second Street and in Plym Park beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12.
• Accepted a proposal of $12,246 from Coldspring Memorial, of Coldspring, Minnesota, to supply a 48-niche columbarium to Silverbrook Cemetery. The council also authorized additional spending of up to $7,000 if necessary.
- Published: April 22, 2015 April 22, 2015
The Friends of Silverbrook would like to thank the LaRue Messenger American Legion Post 26 for their donation of two Medal of Honor flags, which will fly over Silverbrook's Medal of Honor winner, Corporal Joseph Nolan, who earned the high honor serving in the Philippines.
Corporal Nolan's grave can be seen from the corner of South Eleventh Street and Cherry Street.
The Friends purchased the flag pole, and appreciate the Legion's help in supplying the light blue flags which signify a Medal of Honor winner.
There is a photo of Corporal Nolan's Veteran marker on our website, however, no obituary was found in the Niles or South Bend papers at the time of his death.
- Published: October 22, 2014 October 22, 2014
Bright, isn't it?
After five years of the old template, it was time spruce up the place. The older software was coming to the end of its security patching December 2014. This new template Alasse by Joomlashack gives us a lot more options and will let us grow the website in coming years.
We were able to migrate all the content from the old site. Most of the menu items are the same as before, but in slightly different places. The layouts change with the size of your browser so you will be able to see this website easier on a tablet or smartphone. The printing is also larger. On big screens there is less wasted space.
If you see something that doesn't look right, just send me an email.